Workshops and Trainings (2 to 6 hours)
Currently, I provide the following workshops and trainings:
- Developing foundations for authentic conversations and relationships (2 to 3 hour workshop).
A workshop for groups, programs, departments, or organizations seeking to develop understanding and skills for dialoguing across differences in privilege. Goals:
- Develop conceptual foundations: shared language and frameworks for understanding oppression, privilege, and positionality
- Begin an exploration of personal positionality and effects on interactions
- Develop discussion guidelines to enable those conversations
- Foundations of Organizational Change (2 to 4 hour workshop).
A workshop for groups, programs, departments, or organizations seeking to initiate or deepen an orientation towards anti-racism and social justice. Presents a continuum of approaches, inviting participants to evaluate their current context, consider challenges to improving cultural climate and anti-racist/social justice commitment. Describes social justice meanings and interventions at three ecological levels (individual, relational, organizational), and their interactions. Invites participants to develop goals and plan for next steps. Can be tailored to psychology departments and training sites with focus on possibilities for curriculum, clinical and research training, changes in policies and procedures, advocacy training, and building departmental/program structures to maintain and expand anti-racist and social justice progress.
- Strategies for Responding to micro- (and not so micro-) aggressions (2 to 3 hour workshop).
A workshop for faculty, educators, and psychologists of color. Provides research-based guidance to develop strategic and effective responses to racism to promote and protect mental health for people of color, and to advance organizational change for social justice.
- Teaching Diversity Relationally (6 2-hour sessions: workshop series with Grace Kim).
A workshop series to support the success of early career faculty teaching courses focused on race and culture. We aim to promote increased levels of multicultural and anti-racist responsiveness in teaching. Participants explore transformative education approaches to teaching courses related to race and culture, consider the developmental arc and relational processes of these courses, and explore specific contexts and positionalities. Participants also develop and collaboratively workshop annotated syllabi for direct application to their teaching.
Select Previous Trainings and Workshops
Workshops and Trainings for Educators
- Engaging Ethnicity and Race for Effective Dialogue and Working Relationships: Training for Organizational Leadership Development - e.g. for Boards or Committees addressing internal Diversity dynamics
- Racism 101: An introduction to understanding race and racism.
- Reaching across Difference: Developing Ethnocultural and Racial Understanding
- Responding to micro- (and not so micro-) aggressions: Providing research-based guidance to develop strategic and effective responses to racism.
- Coping with Racism Related Stress: A workshop integrating information about racism and its effects with mindfulness and acceptance based interventions and information on resisting racism.
- Developing as an Ally: Knowledge, Empathy, Action: A workshop for those who seek to develop knowledge and skills to resist oppression from privileged positionalities.
- Being, Becoming, and Fostering Allies: A Reflexive Dialogue about Creating Authentic Relationships Across Privilege
- Embracing the Outsider Within: Critical Dialogues among and between People of Color
- Embracing Diversity: A Community Conversation (city community initiative)
- Cultural responsiveness in health services: Engaging connections of culture, systemic hierarchy, and justice for mental health promotion.
- Becoming part of the solution: Promoting mental health by resisting racism and systemic oppression.
- Transformative education: Integrating activist understandings, skills, and action into teaching.
- Ally development as relational process: Challenges, rewards, and complexities of fostering and growing as allies.
- Transformative Education: Strategies for Integrating Diversity and Resisting Bias Across the Curriculum
- Transformative Teaching: How to Teach about Race and Culture, Address Resistance, Encourage Application, and Contribute to Social Justice
- Developing Students as Allies: Strategies for Working with Resistance in Courses About Race and Culture
- Social Justice Action Projects : Transformative Education in Action
Workshops and Trainings for Psychologists and Mental Health Service Providers
- The Importance of Differentiating Race and Ethnicity in Psychotherapy and Clinical Research
- Understanding Ethnicity and Race: Foundations of Ensuring Cultural Responsiveness and Racial Equity in Mental Health Service Provision
- Personal and Institutional Applications: Taking Action for Promoting Cultural Responsiveness and Racial Equity in Mental Health Services